Friday, January 19, 2007

How sensitive is that thing!?

Tomorrow, I get back into the swing of things. Until then, I live in the present.

Today was my last day of work at the nursing home over break, and I won't be back until summer. It was a slightly sad moment, but then I realize I will miss my friends there more than anything else about the place. Either way, tonight seemed to want to pass with a bang.

My jobs tonight included clearing all of the dishes in the dining room after the residents finished eating. The nights duties were moving quickly, and I had time to waste before the residents were done eating. So naturally I went to chat with one of the cooks on her break. After a few minutes we hear over the loud speaker, "Fire alarm check in double-A." This meant that a fire alarm was going off in one of the residents rooms and if your department is close to the area you have to send someone to investigate. Well, the kitchen was the closest. The cook was going to send me until I informed her that I didn't know what to do, never in my four years there had I needed to check an alarm because someone else always got to it before me. Then I see one of my fellow workers heading out (his name will go unmentioned because of questionable acts to be committed later in the story). I was told to go along with him, so I did.

Building AA was all the way down at the end of the building, so we sprinted. We sprinted past residents, through sweltering hallways and up stairs. When we got to the room we were slightly winded, because we were out of shape not because it was far. My co-worker knocked on the door. An old woman answered and questioned why we were there. As if she didn't know. When the door opened I immediately smelled something that was getting overcooked. Upon peering into the room, I saw a slight haze too. My co-worker informed her of the alarm check. Her response, "How sensitive is that thing!?" My co-worker continued to lecture her on safety and fires while I got to talk on the loud-speaker to clear the alarm-check. We then strolled back to the dining room.

I then proceeded to clear the dining room. Once I completed this I dished myself up a plate of food from the leftovers on the buffet. Technically we are not supposed to do this, but no one really cares, and plus I had only had two sushi rolls today and two truffles. I was hungry. I took my food and ate it in the store room on a comfy chair. While I was doing this my co-worker comes in and we talk a bit while I am eating. He then finds a can of cooking spray and the conversation turns to flame-throwers. He wants me to use the cooking spray and my Zippo to make a flame-thrower. Well I am not that kind of a daredevil, but he leaves the room for a minute and returns with a fireplace starter. He lights it a few times/sprays and then decides it is done, though I manage to urge him to do one last one...for fun. Then we leave because I had finished. I jokingly turn to him and say, "Wouldn't it be funny to hear 'Alarm check kitchen'?" I kid you not, ten seconds later that is what we heard. I felt the blood leave my face.

The cooks run in and I get into a predictable randomness situation (a situation where you meet someone in your walking path and you both step the same way and it continues for a bit) with one of them. The cooks start checking ovens and stoves to see what is burning. The first chance me and my co-worker get we look at each other and mouth, "It didn't happen." Eventually the cooks realize the smell came from in the store room. But they couldn't figure out what it was. Thankfully.

As we are leaving to punch out, my co-worker turns to me and asks, "How sensitive is that thing!?"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home