Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Parents Weekend

So being a freshman in college, there is a bit of excitement for me this weekend. This weekend is parents weekend, meaning that my parents will be up and I will show them around campus and they will take me out to eat and whatnot. It isn't like I haven't seen them since I moved in two months back, infact my mom was up with my brother last week. I don't know what it is but I am excited for it to be here.

But, for the others in my dorm, there seems to be a problem. This weekend is parents weekend. Translation, this week is a week of cleaning and stashing the "goods" so no stray eye can find them. I stand behind their abilities, I have come to learn the resourcefulness of a college student. I can guarantee you that no parent, with the exception of the ones that will tear apart a room to make sure that there is no alcohol in the vicinity, will find a drop when in reality there are quite a few drops to be found. To top it all off, I received an email today from my House Fellow (RA) to everyone within my dorm reminding us to clean up. She named the floors and dust equally as anything else, but there seemed to be an implied emphasis on hiding/getting rid of anything that should not be in a dorm. It made me laugh. As I already stated, I have nothing to worry about. I do not drink and my parents know this, therefore anything found in my dorm would belong to my roommate (which is the case with the bottle currently sitting on our fridge door) and/or someone who needed an extra place to stash something. I doubt that the latter will come into play though.

But here in lies the problem for me. Weekends are the time that I choose to spend my weekly allotment of fun, at least the majority of it. Now I realized that it is possible to have during the times that my parents aren't here, and that is what I plan on doing. But the problem lies within what I want to do. See Friday night there is a LOTR marathon from like 7:30pm until 7:30am/whenever the movies are done. That means that I will be up all night. Then my parents show up and we walk, get food, and whatnot. Sounds fine sofar? Well, depending on when my parents decide to head home and when everyone else decides to commence with plans...I will be heading out to go clubbin' with them. That will go to God knows what hour Sunday morning.

So I guess when I say that I am excited for parents weekend, it might not be fully that I can't wait to see my parents (don't get me wrong I do want to see them) but rather I am excited to see if I will survive the grueling marathon of excitement. Oh and I excited to see if the other guys here will survive the inspection that their parents give their rooms.

Update 11-3-06:
I today have learned of how the other guys in the dorm planned on hiding their "goods." Thier plan consisted of drinking whatever was left in their room today at noon. They seem to have suceeded. Then one of them proceeded to go to class. Another passed out on his futon. The third went off to work...as a lifeguard. Fear us.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home